Wind turbine service Engineers play an important role in the renewable energies sector. They specialise in the operation and maintenance of wind turbines ensuring they get the most out of the turbines and produce electricity. Their work involves installing new turbines and performing routine maintenance to ensure the wind turbines are working correctly. These engineers are responsible for performing repairs when there is a mechanical or electrical problem. These roles can be either in onshore farms such in Newcastle or offshore wind farms such as in Inverness.
Wind Turbine Engineers would have come from electrical engineering backgrounds whilst also having certification for Health and Safety performance. Engineers would often live in close proximity to wind farms in case of emergencies and the engineers are needed to be called. Wind Turbine Engineers should have to be comfortable working from height as there would be a regular need to repair or replace the blades.
The responsibilities would typically include:
• Inspect or repair turbine blades
• Troubleshoot or repair mechanical, hydraulic, or electrical malfunctions
• Climb wind turbine towers to inspect, maintain, or repair equipment
• Diagnose problems involving wind turbine generators or control systems
• Perform routine maintenance on wind turbine equipment