Senior Commercialisation Manager - Biopharma
£55,000 - £60,000pa
Kelly Services are keen to speak with Commercialisation Managers from within the Biopharma sector to work with our client based in East London. The role will support the Head of Technology Transfer in driving forward the innovation and commercialisation activities within the business.
The post-holder will be responsible for contributing to a range of commercialisation activities that enable the delivery of targets and outputs defined in the BioPharma Team annual strategic plan. These outputs include; working with scientists to evaluate new technology disclosures and develop commercial opportunities, protection and management of patents, and other methods of IP protection, lead and manage license transactions to deal closure and the formation of spin-out companies. The role holder will work with the team to develop an innovation ecosystem on campus and build relationships with key stakeholders. Stakeholders include translational funding bodies, venture and other finance bodies and industry contacts in both the biotech and pharma industries.
· Define and lead the process of identifying new technology opportunities for the company's project IP pipeline.
· Analyse the commercial potential of IP and make decisions on IP protection (based on balancing the IP portfolio against budgetary constraints), commercial exploitation and marketing opportunities.
· Lead and manage the commercialisation process to maximise the delivery of impact from science.
· Establish and maintain good relations with research community to stimulate awareness of commercial opportunities and the requirement of IP protection. Encourage an innovative and entrepreneurial culture within the university.
· Interaction with senior academics in relevant Schools including the Heads of School to assist with effective implementation of the company's Strategic plan.
· Make recommendations to academics on the best options to realise the value in IP and the best route for commercial exploitation based on comprehensive due diligence analysis.
· Guide scientists through the internal Impact Fund process. The post holder would assist applicants in the creation of detail proposals, covering proposed advancement of the IP and its business case, make decisions with the Dean of Research on which projects would progress to the final panel stage, and provide input in the scientists' final pitch/presentation to the Impact Fund panel.
· Proactively identify sources of external translational funding to progress early-stage opportunities and support academics, and where appropriate lead, in applying for such funding
· Build upon your existing industry, VC and angel networks to support the commercialisation of the company's portfolio.
· Input into the Team annual Strategic Plan, ensuring alignment with the IP Policy, and assist with setting Team targets.
· Proactively contribute to meeting annual targets that include number of commercialisation agreements, IP Revenue, spin-outs created and securing translational funding for commercial technology opportunities.
· Lead on the commercial exploitation, negotiation and successful high-value deal closure of opportunities, with a focus on deals with large corporates, within the role holder's project portfolio.
· Engage with and mentor, as appropriate, colleagues, secondees, interns and fellows within the Team, including specifically advising on legal documents.
· Lead on venture formation, by evaluation and business planning to build high-value spin-out opportunities, including early-stage business development, sourcing a management team and raising funding.
· Relevant scientific background ( BioPharma) and experience of working as a research scientist
· Experience of being a director in a university spin-out company
· Knowledge of IP and managing the protection and prosecution of IP with external advisors such as patent agents
· Experience of commercialisation of IP
· Experience in brokering commercial contracts with a strong and demonstrable record of effective high-value deal closure with large corporates.
· Experience of the formation of early stage ventures.
· Experience of working in relevant industry
· Proven experience as a successful Project manager
· Previous Board director experience
· Good knowledge of using patent databases and preliminary FTO searches used to evaluate and market commercial opportunities
· Good knowledge of Technology Transfer systems / processes/ databases
· Practical knowledge of commercialisation and investment networks
· Effective networker, relationship builder and enabler, with an established network of contacts in industry and the finance industry
· Applied legal experience to review all aspects of commercial and legal agreements
· Good organisational skills
· Good IT skills, including word processing, spreadsheets (Excel) e-mail, PowerPoint
· Willingness to travel
We are ideally looking to speak with individuals with a Masters, PhD or equivalent level in business or a bachelor's degree plus relevant postgraduate or professional qualification in a relevant science discipline.
With an attached salary of £55,000-£60,000, this is an excellent opportunity to work for a leading name within the Biopharma space.
To express your interest, please apply directly or contact the Kelly Scientific team for more information.
Kelly Services are acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this role. Should you choose to apply, your information will be processed in accordance with Kelly's Privacy Statement. For information regarding data protection at Kelly, please visit the Kelly website and have a look into the Privacy Statement.
As an Equal Opportunities employer we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.