Scale Up Lab Chemist
£20,000 - £40,000 plus benefits
Alderley Park, Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Start Date - May 2020
Sai Life Sciences is a Contract Research & Development and Manufacturing Organisation working with 7 of the top 10 pharma companies globally, as well as many leading niche biotech's. The company works with its clients to accelerate the discovery, development and manufacture of complex small molecules for a healthier tomorrow. With more than 2000 staff and ambitious growth plans, their vision is to support their global innovator partners to bring 25 new medicines to life by 2025.
Following a significant investment in a state of the art laboratory at the Alderley Park Biotech & Life Science Cluster, Sai Life Sciences is now creating a centre of excellence (COE) for process chemistry and analytical development. The COE will identify, develop and optimise synthetic routes to API, supporting both early and late development. It will also manufacture non-GMP kg quantities of intermediates and APIs in its bespoke scale-up laboratory facility. The developed processes may then be transferred to Sai Life Sciences manufacturing sites across India.
This is an opportunity to shape the development of a world leading laboratory and work closely with some of the most innovative biotech and pharma companies on their most important programmes.
Sai Life Sciences are looking for a Scientist who is seeking a new challenge to support the initiation of our new scale-up team.
The successful candidate will either have a thorough knowledge of Organic Chemistry with 1-5 years' laboratory experience in a relevant industry or will be someone who has recently completed (or who will complete during 2020) a BSc or MSc with a specialism in Organic Synthesis or Process Chemistry.
Demonstrated practical experience of using equipment for larger scale organic chemistry (10-20L) would also be advantageous.
The candidate is expected to conduct practical, laboratory based chemistry processes on 10-20L scale, operate and maintain equipment, and provide input to project teams on considerations of scaling up their chemistry.
- Higher or Bachelor Degree in Chemistry or related scientific discipline with relevant experience in a chemistry laboratory environment.
- Thorough knowledge of a wide range of organic chemistry transformations.
- Strong scientific track record.
- High standards of safety and quality.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Perform laboratory experimentation at 10-20L scale to deliver customer projects.
- Operate and maintain equipment in our scale up laboratory.
- Author relevant technical documents to support work in our scale-up laboratory.
- Provide advice to project teams regarding considerations for scaling processes to 20L scale at Alderley, and beyond that, to our pilot and production facilities in India.
- Working within multi-functional project teams operating to tight deadlines.
- Learning agility in the utilisation of new technologies and approaches to support chemistry projects.
- Ability to independently resolve practical issues as they arise.
The successful candidates will have a flexible approach to their work and demonstrate the following attributes:
- Excellent communication; both verbal and written.
- A team player.
- Conscientious, with a can-do attitude and good attention to detail.
- A competitive Salary and Benefits package.
- Work in a state of the art laboratory on one the country's leading Biotech & Life Science Parks.
- Access to great facilities including an on-site gym.
Kelly Services are acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this role. Should you choose to apply, your information will be processed in accordance with Kelly's Privacy Statement.
As an Equal Opportunities employer we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.