Process Chemistry Team Manager
£70-£85,000 plus benefits and bonus
Alderley Park, Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Start Date - ASAP
Sai Life Sciences:
Sai Life Sciences is a Contract Research & Development and Manufacturing Organisation working with 7 of the top 10 pharma companies globally, as well as many leading niche biotechs. The company works with its clients to accelerate the discovery, development and manufacture of complex small molecules for a healthier tomorrow. With more than 2000 staff and ambitious growth plans, their vision is to support their global innovator partners to bring 25 new medicines to life by 2025.
Following a significant investment in a state of the art laboratory at the Alderley Park Biotech & Life Science Cluster, Sai Life Sciences is now creating a centre of excellence (COE) for process chemistry and analytical development. The COE will identify, develop and optimise synthetic routes to API, supporting both early and late development. It will also manufacture non-GMP kg quantities of intermediates and APIs in its bespoke Scale-up laboratory facility. The developed processes may then be transferred to Sai Life Sciences manufacturing sites across India.
This is an opportunity to shape the development of a world leading laboratory and work closely with some of the most innovative biotech and pharma companies on their most important programmes.
We are looking for an experienced Scientific Leader who is seeking a new challenge to lead the development of our early, mid and late-phase Chemistry teams.
The successful candidate will have a background in Organic Chemistry combined with demonstrated expertise in early, mid or late-phase route and process development of the manufacture of APIs, intermediates and raw materials. They will also have experience of line management and leading personal development of a small team.
Experience in any of route selection, process development and optimisation, quality by design, technology transfer and commercial production would also be advantageous.
The candidate is expected to lead chemistry projects to develop routes and processes and then scale-up to manufacture.
- Higher or Bachelor Degree in Chemistry or related scientific discipline with several years' relevant experience in Process Chemistry Leadership.
- Experienced in the design of chemistry routes and processes for the scale-up of novel APIs, intermediates and raw materials, working alongside analysts and engineers.
- A demonstrated ability to handle several projects in different stages of development at the same time and to lead and drive the scientific output of those projects.
- Strong scientific track record with both project and line leadership experience
Key roles and responsibilities
- To be part of the Alderley site leadership team and contribute to site objective setting and continuous improvement.
- Line management and personal development responsibility for up to 6 process chemists.
- Responsible for the scientific output of the chemistry team and their contribution to customer projects.
- Act as the key interface between the Alderley site team and the customer on chemistry projects.
- Leading the chemistry aspects of projects both at Alderley and with chemists in India
- Occasional travel to India to support projects.
The successful candidates will have a flexible approach to their work and demonstrate the following attributes:
- Excellent communication; both verbal and written
- A team player and proven leader
- Conscientious with a can-do attitude with good attention to detail
- Good project management and supervisory skills
- A competitive Salary, Benefits package and bonus
- Work in a state of the art laboratory on one the country's leading Biotech & Life Science Parks
- Access to great facilities including an on-site gym
Kelly Services are acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this role. Should you choose to apply, your information will be processed in accordance with Kelly's Privacy Statement.
As an Equal Opportunities employer we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.