Our Client is a leading electronic manufacturing business based in the North East of England. The company currently require a talented Mechanical Design Engineer to join the business.
Purpose of the role:
- Design and development of new, innovative products / technology in line with the company's objectives, product roadmap and quality system
- Lead design projects from a mechanical / industrial design perspective
- Responsibility for the introduction of new products into production ensuring that the processes, work instructions, jigs and fixtures are in place to successfully manufacture the products in a cost-effective and efficient manner
- Identify and develop product and manufacturing process improvements for existing products through innovation and continuous improvement techniques
- Maintain the project file and produce BOM, build instruction and technical data.
- Produce drawings Development of new products
- Maintain up to date project files
- Progress projects, assemblies and build instructions so that full products can be manufactured successfully in-house and components can be manufactured successfully at our sub-contractors bearing in mind at all times best practice in terms of DFx
- Manage introduction and transfer of new products onto production lines.
- Participate in the full development cycle and deliver development updates at each check point stage during the product development programme.
- Identify technologies and features to advance our own products.
- Research competitor products and comparative products from other industries
- Test, document results, and present findings for peer review
- Ensure our products meet the company's specifications, customer expectations and adhere to relevant legislation such as RoHS, REACH, conflict minerals and other international certification requirements
- Work closely with other design elements within the technical team to produce prototypes and proof of concept models
- Work closely with external industrial design agencies to deliver the best results
- Testing and troubleshooting of new and existing products
- Design products to maximise manufacturing efficiency
- Design products to minimise manufacturing cost
- Load and manage BOMs onto the MRP / ERP system
- Degree level qualification in mechanical engineering or a similar engineering degree e.g. industrial design engineering, aeromechanical engineering or aeronautical engineering (Or qualified to above level by relevant industrial experience)
- Relevant industry experience in a similar role including hands on product design responsibility
- A good understanding and demonstrable experience of mechanical design
- Knowledge and experience of the essential design and manufacturing elements of some of our sub-contracted processes: machining, aluminium extrusions, plastic injection moulding, sand/gravity/high-pressure die casting, sheet metal fabrication, painting
- A good understanding and practical experience of Design For Manufacture Principles and experience in their implementation
- Extensive knowledge and experience of 3D mechanical design and the use of Solidworks (or equivalent) 3D modelling software
- Relevant production experience, particularly in hand assembly of electro-mechanical products
- Experienced in new product introduction
- A good working knowledge of DCRs processes; Document control and issue
- Knowledge of project management principles and practices
- Working with external agencies, particularly industrial design houses
- Able to make a positive contribution to the overall team
- Up to £33,000 plus a comprehensive benefits package
Kelly Services are acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this role. Should you choose to apply, your information will be processed in accordance with Kelly's Privacy Statement.
As an Equal Opportunities employer we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.