Lab & Facilities Manager
LifeArc is a medical research charity with a 25-year legacy of helping scientists and organisations turn their research into treatments and diagnostics for patients.
We are pioneering new ways to turn great science into greater patient impact at LifeArc. We do this by bringing together a network of partners to tackle specific diseases and by funding and developing early-stage research.
Our Edinburgh site specialises in molecular diagnostics development and has some of the most modern and comprehensive technologies available. The team are dedicated to translational science taking early-stage diagnostics from academic research to commercial readiness.
We are searching for a highly motivated, organised, and committed management professional to take on the role of Laboratory and Facilities Manager.
We are looking for an industry professional with a diverse level of experience, including team, health & safety (H&S) and facilities management. The ideal candidate will demonstrate this varied experience as a skilled and knowledgeable manager operating as part of a quality management system.
Who you are?
We are looking for a industry professional with experience of managing all aspects of workplace health & safety within lab and facilities management. You will have the ability to adapt and work in a fast-paced environment across a range of teams, managing and delegating work as required. You will be a dedicated individual with an excellent work ethic and the ability to manage a busy and varied workload. You must have a keen eye for documentation and procedure as well as having a practical and hands-on approach to your work.
On a day-to-day basis you will manage all aspects of laboratories to ensure they are fully operational and comply to ISO13485 as well as being responsible for onsite Health & Safety protocols being met at all times. You will manage all aspects of facilities to ensure offices and labs are fit for purpose and you will take an active role in liaising with the Quality Manager to ensure lab-based requirements of ISO13485 are met.
Key Lab Responsibilities and Duties (for role and associated team members):
- Arrange service contracts and engineers' visits.
- Oversee ordering and maintenance of laboratory reagents, consumables, and equipment.
- Ensure all lab H&S processes and documentation are current and compliant.
- Maintenance of laboratory environment and workflows.
- Ensure lab equipment calibration, servicing and maintenance records are current and reviewed.
Key Facilities Responsibilities and Duties
- Liaise with IT to ensure services are functioning.
- Provide H&S induction and training.
- Ensure all facility H&S processes and documentation are current and compliant including oversight of first aiders and fire wardens
- Liaise with building owner on facilities and H&S matters.
- Liaise with third parties to ensure all LifeArc plant and equipment is maintained and functioning.
- LifeArc point of contact for building related issues/emergencies.
- Preparation of quality documents, e.g. SOPs, Change Control.
- Contribute to quality processes e.g. CAPA, Risk Management .
- Lead for site incident management team.
Additional Tasks as required:
- Liaise with other LifeArc functions , e.g. IT, Communications, Finance etc
- Day-to-day management of Office Administrator and Technician .
- Input to lab and facilities budgets.
- Occasional out-of-hours working required (emergency call outs and facilities maintenance). Response in a reasonable timeframe out-of-hours required.
- Significant experience in a technical or scientific role in an academic/clinical/biotech laboratory.
- Knowledge of molecular biology techniques and equipment.
- Management experience essential
- Experience working in an accredited (ISO 13485) laboratory (preferable) or understanding of a quality system.
- Management of laboratory H&S requirements.
- Facilities Management experience.
- Demonstrate good organisational and communication skills.
- HND/SVQ/BSc or equivalent
- NEBOSH qualification (preferrable)
Your salary will be determined by qualifications and experience. In addition, LifeArc offers a defined contribution pension scheme, private health insurance, a flexible benefits scheme and 31 days paid holiday per year.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion, or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.
Closing Date: Friday 18th June 2021
(Please note we are actively recruiting, and the closing date may be brought forward if the right candidate is identified)
Kelly Services are acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this role. Should you choose to apply, your information will be processed in accordance with Kelly's Privacy Statement. For information regarding data protection at Kelly, please visit the Kelly website and have a look into the Privacy Statement.
As an Equal Opportunities employer we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.