As a Java Developer you contribute to one or several of our core web-platform server-side components development and integration. That includes responsibility for designing, implementing, and deploying new features, as well as improving and refactoring existing code or supporting the existing live platform.
- Developing and maintaining the platform in a collective code ownership approach
- Refactoring legacy code, developing code coverage
- Participating in the deployment process
- Working together with the team for planning, design decisions and solution implementation
About the Team
Future is a tech enabled global specialist media business with a large proportion of our business operation online. Our proprietary tech stack is what allows us to win in this space. You may know some of our brands.
Our business is complex and that means there are always complex technology challenges for our Tech & Engineering team to solve!
The core parts of the tech stack comprise of:
- Platform: Vanilla - our single modular web platform enables the current 26 brands to exist and their respective content to reach circa 400m users a month; Incorporated in Vanilla is a single content management system with internationalization and semantic analysis of content capabilities;
- Ecommerce: Hawk - our ecommerce service enables the monetisation of our content through product affiliates; Hawk connects with 2100 affiliates merchants and process 280m product offers daily, matching against our content at a rate of 2000 requests per second;
- Advertising: Hybrid - our advertising system enables the delivery of 13.8bn open auction programmatic advertising a year. It is a server side open auction marketplace dealing with yield management;
- Email: Smartbrief - our email tech supports the creation and distribution of email newsletter with targeted and pacing of advertising within. Annually, the email tech delivers circa 1.2bn emails;
- Intent Marketing: technology being built from the ground up to support a new business objective;
- Magazine: Source - our content commissioning portal for magazines and Studio is the flatplanning systems for building magazines.
What do I need to succeed?
- Passion about building complex software systems with a mix of technologies and solutions
- Strong experience (3+ years) in developing high-performance service-oriented software, ideally in a cloud environment
- Firm believer in clean code principles and automated testing
- Familiar with continuous integration environments using tools such as Jenkins, Gitlab CI/CD, Junit, Cucumber or else.
- Like working as a team; previous experience in Agile environment and team responsibility
- Good english communication skills, ability to collaborate locally and remotely
- Ability to work on a UNIX-like system and command-line
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Java 8 or later, Spring
- Containerisation, Docker
What will I get in return?
As well as our standard benefits, we have a number of awesome perks available to our staff including:
- Unlimited paid time off (yes you read that right!)
- A share in our success- every member of staff receives a profit pool bonus at the end of our financial year
- Central office locations with safe working spaces and tonnes of flexibility to work remotely as required
- Discounted digital magazine subscriptions and access to back copies of our print magazines and bookazines
- Annual Future conference - get together with your colleagues to celebrate success and look forward to what's next
- Regular colleague events arranged by our wonderful Community & Culture committees
- Huge opportunities to learn and develop whether through professional qualifications, exposure to incredible business projects or informal lunch & learns, hosted by your colleagues
We are Future
Connectors. Creators. Experience Makers
We're Future. We're 2300 colleagues over 200 brands speaking to 400 million people every month across the globe through websites, events and magazines. We haven't just survived in 2020, we've thrived, increasing our audience share, taking more number one positions, acquiring new businesses and launching new brands.
And we don't plan on stopping any time soon.
We've got an ambitious plan for 2021 that will build on our growth momentum and unlock new opportunities. We're calling it Future 3.0 and we're looking for talented people who want to be a part of it.
Kelly Services are acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this role. Should you choose to apply, your information will be processed in accordance with Kelly's Privacy Statement. For information regarding data protection at Kelly, please visit the Kelly website and have a look into the Privacy Statement.
As an Equal Opportunities employer we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.