Our Client is a leading electronic manufacturing business based in the North East of England. The company currently require a talented Engineering Manager to join the business.
Purpose of the role:
This is a key position for the Engineering Department and the company overall. The role is strongly technical, mixed discipline, with a hands-on electronics design focus, at a concept and specification level. An experienced background in Electronic product Engineering and battery technology, and the ability to manage multiple projects at the same time is essential.
- To support the capture of new business by creating alternate design concepts and performance specifications from customer inputs using a wide variety of cell technologies, and other components and materials.
- Work with the Engineering Director and Sales personnel to discuss and propose new designs with the customer. This requires in depth knowledge of cell and battery specification and performance and customer facing skills.
- Design battery packs and chargers.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of new technology, methods and tools, and apply innovation to designs.
- Detail electronics design including battery BMS systems utilizing Texas BQ and other technologies, PCBA design using Altium, and the assembly and testing of prototypes.
- Design and development of embedded firmware, programming, parameter setup of the electronic components such as PIC processors, battery control ICs etc..
- Provision of effective and very high performance test solutions for manufacturing either through hands-on design or 3rd party sourcing.
- Knowledge of PC programming would be beneficial to support this.
- Sound, detailed engineering methodologies and attention to detail, including specification, tolerances and margins, failure mode analysis, risk management, documentation and team reviews.
- Creation of all design documentation including assembly, bills of materials, project planning, test and verification/ qualification plans, and associated procedures.
- Project planning and management experience: Management of own and team activities to manage tasks / projects to timeline.
- Identification of alternate components where necessary (such as obsolescence)
- Manage design changes
- Detailed and systematic approach to fault finding. Specific experience with analog and digital electronic circuitry.
- Support technical investigation into customer complaints, provide detailed technical investigations where required.
- Provide technical support for Operations and customers.
- Battery pack design experience
- Has a solid understanding of electronics theory as applicable to the design and production of battery associated equipment in a production environment.
- Experience of hardware product development in a low/ medium volume production environment
- Industry knowledge - cells, battery ICs and associated components
- An approachable team player with good listening and communications skills. A fit for a small team environment where everyone does whatever is necessary to get the job done - and more.
- Works independently. Develops personal time planning, works proactively and independently while ensuring that colleagues are kept apprised of status.
- PCBA design and layout: Altium PCBA design experience. Component selection, schematics, layout.
- Use of Solidworks is beneficial, but not a requirement
- PIC programming design experience.
- BQ Battery IC setup and creation of Golden Images.
- Project planning Experience. Basic skills with MS Project, Gantt charts.
- Sound ability to understand and apply data sheet specifications and parameters. Ability to understand design schematics.
- Understanding of, and application of appropriate design principles for EMC, safety, efficiency and other regulatory compliance standards appropriate to our business.
- Engineering personal management - either experience or ability to develop a position of technical and personal respect managing engineering personnel.
- Self motivated and good time management
- Excellent communication and problem solving with customers
- Computer literacy - including Office packages Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Experience with analog and digital design including earthing techniques, analog and digital conversion, calibration and instrumentation practices
- Preferable experience with regulatory approvals, including some of UL, FM, CE, Intrinsic Safety and other regulatory requirements
- Must have sustained previous experience in an electronic production environment.
- Up to £55,000 plus a comprehensive benefits package
Kelly Services are acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this role. Should you choose to apply, your information will be processed in accordance with Kelly's Privacy Statement.
As an Equal Opportunities employer we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.