Antibody Discovery Scientist
x2 positions available (1 Permanent and 1 FTC maternity cover)
LifeArc is a medical research charity with a 25-year legacy of helping scientists and organisations turn their research into treatments and diagnostics for patients.
We are pioneering new ways to turn great science into greater patient impact at LifeArc. We do this by bringing together a network of partners to tackle specific diseases and by funding and developing early-stage research.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with established expertise in antibody discovery (preferably using single B cell platforms), to join our Translational Science team. The successful candidate will be working with our Antibody Discovery group, based at Stevenage.
This is an exciting opportunity to work as part of a well-respected, dynamic and multidisciplinary team to drive antibody discovery at LifeArc. You will play a key role in high-throughput cloning and identification of antibody candidates using our NGS-driven single B cell antibody discovery platform, as well as supporting screening of antibody candidates. You will also have an opportunity to contribute to improvements and/or drive innovations to the existing discovery workflow. Working in a collaborative team environment, you will be expected to communicate efficiently, generate work reports, and present data to other teams.
Who you are
- Planning, organizing, and maintaining work schedules
- Running different stages of PCR/NGS discovery workflow
- Performing routine maintenance of relevant equipment
- In-depth analysis of data and troubleshooting
- Visualising and presenting complex data sets
- Maintaining accurate, high quality and up-to-date experimental records
- Coordinating work with other members of the Antibody Discovery team
- Contributing to development of new operating procedures
- Providing training and assistance to new users
Experience and skills
- Strong background and expertise in molecular biology methods, especially PCR and sequencing
- Proven, hands-on experience using monoclonal antibody discovery methods, preferably single B cell-based platforms
- Experience in antibody screening methods including ELISA, SPR or BLI and flow cytometry
- Experience in next-generation sequencing (NGS) applied to antibody discovery is highly desirable
- Experience with mammalian cell culturing and antibody expression
- Good understanding of antibody sequences
- Background knowledge in immunology and drug discovery
- Experience or familiarity with lab process automation would be a great advantage
- Strong motivation and versatility to work on different collaborative projects
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to critically assess data and solve technical issues
- Excellent communication and organisation skills and team spirit
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to work independently on assigned tasks and in small teams
- Desire to learn new skills and techniques
BSc, MSc or PhD in biological sciences or related discipline
Your salary will be determined by qualifications and experience. In addition, LifeArc offers a defined contribution pension scheme, private health insurance, a flexible benefits scheme and 31 days paid holiday per year.
LifeArc is committed to the principles and practices of equal opportunities and to encouraging the establishment of a diverse workforce. It is our policy to employ individuals on the basis of their suitability for the work to be performed and their potential for development, regardless of age, sex, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability, marital status, pregnancy or maternity, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion, or belief. This includes creating a culture that fully reflects our commitment to equal opportunities for all.
To apply please e-mail your CV and covering letter explaining why you want to work for LifeArc and your suitability for the Antibody Discovery Scientist position.
Kelly Services are acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this role. Should you choose to apply, your information will be processed in accordance with Kelly's Privacy Statement. For information regarding data protection at Kelly, please visit the Kelly website and have a look into the Privacy Statement.
As an Equal Opportunities employer we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.